Please select the workshops you would like to attend from the following choices. Artists are not required to register for the festival in order to register for a workshop.
How to ensure your painting is seen in the best light by festival judges and most importantly your patrons.
Learn how to paint a landscape filled with light and atmosphere and have a lot of fun in the process. Learn the principles that help create the illusion of depth and learn tips for painting better shadows. Whether you are new to painting, or you've been painting for years, this class has something for everyone. the class begins with a short teaching and demonstration, then the participants can work on their own painting with plenty of one-on-one instruction.
Use whatever painting medium and colors you are comfortable with. You should at least have the primary colors (red, yellow, blue), white and black in whatever medium you use. The closer your palette is to mine, however, the better your learning experience will be. I use Rembrandt Extra Fine Artist Oils for the ability to move the paint around the canvas more quickly without needing a medium.
The style I paint in is known as Impressionistic Realism. It’s a versatile yet challenging mode of expression through which the poetry of a subject is preserved and paramount. To find eternal balance in the elegant dance of light and form is my highest inspiration. Through the congruence of our visual vocabulary and shared human experience, I am able to imply detail without overstating it. Brushwork and palette knife together create a textural Impressionism and paint quality which entice a closer look, while it is through a little distance that my paintings become Realistic portals into a time and place. Painted like memories of the “here and now,” they depict the variety of life in the 21st Century and often include man-made objects, figures, or animals. Through my work, I sincerely hope to remind and inspire others to take time to see just how amazing this existence is. Enjoy.
*** CONTEST RULES AND POLICIES ***
We are happy to be your hosts for the Annual Augusta Plein Air Festival. Over the years, this festival has really grown! From a small weekend event with 17 participants, to a 10-day festival with over 125 artists! Due to this growth, the committee would like to highlight the important rules and policies that will enable us to keep the event running smoothly and safely for everyone. It is important all participants read this list and call us with any questions.
- Harmonie-Verein/American Legion – 5333 Hackmann Rd., open daily 8am – 6pm.
- Pick up registration packet, name badge and t-shirt when arriving at the festival.
- Canvases stamped (3-5 canvases at one time), check for posted updates.
- There will be no registration at paint out event locations.
CHECK FOR DAILY UPDATES - will be posted on FaceBook and Website as needed
- Artists will be required to complete a W-9 form before receiving sale payments of $600 or more. The Greater Augusta Chamber of Commerce is required to file a 1099 with the IRS for such payments.
- All sales transactions of art generated at the Festival from April 20 – April 30, 2023 must be processed by the Augusta Plein Air Committee. This includes sales on social media, at the paint outs and pop-up gallery, and throughout the festival. Failure to do so will make an artist ineligible for daily paint out competitions, along with the final judging and sale.
- The Augusta Chamber of Commerce will retain a 30% commission from all sales.
- Each artist is responsible for transporting their artwork and display materials.
- NOTE: Legally, the Augusta Plein Air team cannot (nor can any business or host) be responsible for artwork or display materials or for the transportation of the same.
- Please keep paintings in the spirit of plein air – outdoor painting and outdoor scenes.
PAINT LOCATION SITES:
- Please ask permission to paint on private property (unless previously given).
- Please treat property with respect.
- Comply with directions for parking at various locations.
- Carpool whenever possible.
- Do not obstruct roadways. For everyone’s safety, do not park on Hwy 94.
- Avoid obstructing other artists’ view.
- Leave prime parking spaces for public.
- Your badge identifies you as a participant in the Augusta Plein Air Art Festival and is required for entry into paint outs and judging.
- Artists must check in with representative of the Augusta Plein Air Art Festival at paint out site to participate in judging, social, and sale.
- Please observe starting times for paint outs (when specified). Arrival time at paint out location must be no earlier than 30 minutes before official start of the paint out.
- Turn in art for judging promptly at stated times, late entries will not be accepted.
- Tickets/vouchers for socials following paint outs will be issued to participating artists.
- Only art completed during the specified paint out is eligible for judging.
- If participating in a paint out, one painting for must be submitted judging.
- Art for judging must be framed or gallery wrapped. Only wire for hanging.
- A judge, appointed by the Plein Air Committee, will narrow the field of paintings down to the top 3-10 paintings. They will discuss their selections with the sponsor, and from the established top 3-5 paintings, the sponsor will select the $500 sponsor’s choice and the judge will select one honorable mention for judge’s choice.
- Artists may participate in all paint outs but are eligible to win only one $500 sponsor’s choice. The exceptions are Premier Artists Paint Out at Sunflower Hill Farm & the theme painting competitions.
- After judging, please allow a minimum of 45 minutes before departure to allow public viewing and sale of art.
- Participation at paint out events is optional; artists may paint at a location of their choice at any time during the festival.
- The Premier Artist Paint Out is for winning artists of the last 5 years (2017-2021).
JUDGING & FINAL SALE:
- Each registered artist is welcome (and highly encouraged) to participate in the final sale.
- All artworks must be event-generated and authenticated (stamped).
- All artwork judged, displayed, or sold must be generated during the 2022 event.
- Previously sold (earlier during the festival) artwork is eligible for final judging, with permission from the purchaser. Artist must plan with purchaser for delivery of such art.
- Pieces submitted for judging must be framed or gallery wrapped.
- Only original artwork (not reproductions) may be sold.
- Artists provide necessary equipment to display art: easels, screens, tent for setup outdoors, etc. Panels (6’ x 2’) can be rented from the Festival Committee for $15 each.
- Strongly recommend that artwork for sale be framed (enhances potential sale).
- Each artist may display festival art within space assigned to them.
- If artist cannot be present the day of art sale, artist may have friend/family sell art.
- Chamber will provide cashiers & sales receipts for all sales.
- Any artwork remaining after the festival will become the property of the Greater Augusta Chamber of Commerce.
*** ACCIDENT WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY ***
I HEREBY ASSUME ALL OF THE RISKS OF PARTICIPATING IN ANY/ALL ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE 2023 AUGUSTA PLEIN AIR ART FESTIVAL. This includes, by way of example and not limitation, any risks that may arise from negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons or entities being released, from dangerous or defective equipment or property owned, maintained, or controlled by them, or because of their possible liability without fault.
I certify that there are no health-related reasons or problems which preclude my participation in this activity.
I acknowledge that this Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form will be used by the event holders, sponsors, and organizers of the activity in which I may participate, and that it will govern my actions and responsibilities at said activity.
I hereby take action for myself as follows:
(A) I WAIVE, RELEASE, AND DISCHARGE from any and all liability, including but not limited to, liability arising from the negligence or fault of the entities or persons released, for personal injury, property damage, or property theft, THE FOLLOWING ENTITIES OR PERSONS: The Greater Augusta Chamber of Commerce, (GACC) and/or their officers, and the activity holders, sponsors, and volunteers;
(B) INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND PROMISE NOT TO SUE the entities or persons mentioned in this paragraph from any and all liabilities or claims made as a result of participation in this activity, whether caused by the negligence of release or otherwise.
I acknowledge that GACC and their officers, or volunteers, are NOT responsible for the errors, omissions, acts, or failures to act of any party or entity conducting a specific activity on their behalf.
I understand while participating in this activity, I may be photographed. I agree to allow my photo, video, or film likeness to be used for any legitimate purpose by the activity holders, producers, sponsors, organizers, and assigns.
The Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form shall be construed broadly to provide a release and waiver to the maximum extent permissible under applicable law.
I CERTIFY THAT I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND I FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENT. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A CONTRACT AND I AGREE TO IT OF MY OWN FREE WILL.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.